Think looking for a job these days is like climbing Mt. Everest? You are not far from the truth! Check out our job search tips slideshow at the link or image above and turn up the sound. 🙂
fill in your blank! Need a new keyword resume to help you beat the ATS and stand out from the crowd. Just click on the link and check out our résumé writing team at http://www.resumefound.com or call 973-341-3479
Happy Friday all! It’s a gorgeous one in the Northeast after a week of sporadic clouds and rain I for one welcome the beautiful blue skies. Pool setup later since the painting to the rear wall of the house is finally complete. I enjoy my backyard oasis immensely in the summer months. With a small Cape Cod humble home in Clifton, NJ the backyard is the largest room in our house. So I make it a point to try to do something to beautify it every year. Which brings me to another topic about beautifying your online presence.
Lots of people nowadays are so scared to be public online for fear of it backfiring in their job search, home search, car purchase…well that last one is a stretch. I haven’t met a car dealer who wouldn’t take your money LOL! But seriously folks, if you want to be discovered online by a potential employer you have to be online. And if they search for your name and find nothing, it can be almost as detrimental to your career as them finding negative stuff about you. They might wonder “is this person so out of touch with the tech world that they cannot embrace Web 2.0 concepts, Cloud sharing, Team collaborating across the globe via online webinars, Skyping, IM, Twitter, Facebook, etc? You get the picture…it makes you look like a dinosaur.
Sure we all want to hang onto some semblance of privacy in this rapidly evolving, public world. But you should focus on learning to improve and optimize your online presence weekly. Google yourself monthly, see what comes up. Use SEO (Search Engine Optimization) techniques which are based around keywords and meta tags to get your positive search results to the 1st, 2nd and/or 3rd pages of Google thereby burying the negative ones if there are any. Don’t think you can just write Google and they will immediately remove any unsavory content about you. They usually will not and will err on the side of caution and leave it up there. They also came up with a new “Penguin” update which makes optimizing and SEO all that more unpredictable for webmasters and all that more accurate results for the rest of us. However it is still possible to work within the constraints that Google has put in place to optimize your search results. Whether it be for your personal or career Blog you write (which is a good idea if you are unemployed to keep writing and staying in contact with industry contacts in your field), your resume online page (for example on box.com), and most importantly your LinkedIn profile.
Do you need a LinkedIn profile? Absolutely and positively YES! LinkedIn is the professional network that can potentially connect you to decision makers at companies you want to work for! DO NO PASS UP the chance at meeting the person that can help launch your next idea, or career! Below are the steps you need to take to start building your LinkedIn profile and Career Brand today:
1. Create or optimize your LinkedIn profile
Go to http://www.linkedinlabs.com and install the Signal app (this helps you in searching out companies you want to target)
2. Let LinkedIn get you started with contacts by searching your email addresses to see if any of your contacts are on LinkedIn and connect with them
3. Those connections could have additional connections
Once you connect with them, you are now connected to all of their connections
4. Connect with Super Connectors (those with 500+ or more Connections)
I you are not connected you miss out on all of that persons connections seeing your profile
5. You want to be seen by your Connections connections….sounds funny….believe me it’s not. You will be amazed at how even you might be connected to a big shot at Apple, Microsoft, or an HR person at Disney, Facebook, or a recruiter at Hewlett Packard. You name the company you want to work for next and chances are you can at the very least get a phone interview (the standard way for you to be ruled out or move ahead in the process these days), and potentially a live interview.
6. Then comes the interview coaching and practice. Don’t just take a phone interview when they call you or find you online, as you rush out the door to the market! This might be a quick call to you but to the recruiter it is a real interview and they could rule you out just for the mere fact that you weren’t hip enough to realize you were being interviewed and ruled out. Instead call or email them and arrange a time where you will have no distractions, your notes and resume in front of you, and can put your best foot forward. This could mean the difference in moving ahead to a live interview or into the trash pile.
For more tips and info on getting seen and getting hired online stay tuned to this Blog as well as our sister Blog The Talent Mill or follow our Facebook pages https://www.facebook.com/TheTalentMill and https://www.facebook.com/DrMillComputerWiz
*I also offer great rates on Get Seen Get Hired SEO LinkedIn Optimization Packages where I do all the work for you while you wait for your phone to start ringing from recruiters finding you online instead of you sending your resume and risking it not even being seen because it’s not optimized therefore not making it into the top of the pile. Don’t let Applicant Tracking Software (ATS) systems rule you out because your resume was not optimized with the right keywords in the right places! Get Seen & Get Hired today!
Thanks for stopping by and enjoy the weekend! ~Dr Mill